Risk and Crisis Communications are my major research area. Ranging from my dissertation project to various publications, I am invested in finding ways to minimize environmental, and natural risks via establishing proper communication mechanisms.
- Baniya, S. (2022). Transnational Assemblages in Disaster Response: Networked Communities, Technologies, and Coalitional Actions During Global Disasters. Technical Communication Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.1080/10572252.2022.2034973
- Baniya, S. (2020). Managing Environmental Risks: Rhetorical Agency and Ecological Literacies of Women During the Nepal Earthquake. Enculturation (32) Special Issue: Rhetorics and Literacies of Climate Change. http://enculturation.net/managing_environmental
- Baniya, S., & Potts, L., (2020). Valuing Expertise During the Pandemic. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 35 (1), p 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1177/1050651920958503
- Baniya, S., (2021). The Implication of Transnational Activism and Disaster Response for Global Social Justice. Spark: A 4C4Equality Journal. URL: https://tinyurl.com/87rwnecw
- Baniya, S., & Chen, C. (2021). Experiencing a Global Pandemic: The Power of Public Storytelling as Counternarrative in Crisis Communication. Technical Communications. Special Issue of Technical Communication on The Work of Storytelling in Technical Communication, 68 (4), pp. 74-87.
- Baniya, S., (May 2022) How Can Technical Communicators Help in Disaster Response. Technical Communications. Accepted
- Baniya, S., & Potts, L., Recognizing the Immaterial Labor for Social Justice: The Experts’ Knowledge During the Pandemic. Special Issue on “Intercultural and Participatory Risk Communication about COVID-19: Using Immaterial Labor to Promote Social Justice in a Pandemic. Rhetoric, Professional Communication, and Globalization. Proposal Accepted.
- Baniya, S (2019). Comparative Study of Networked Communities, Crisis Communication, and Technology: Rhetoric of Disaster in Nepal Earthquake and Hurricane Maria. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference, Portland, OR Sigdoc 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3328020.3353913
- Baniya, S., The Rhetoric of Disaster in a Networked, Technological, Globalized World. Rhetoric Society Quarterly. In progress
- Baniya, S., Decolonizing Disaster Response: Puerto Ricans Response to Hurricane Maria. In Progress