Book (In Progress)
Transnational Assemblages: Social Justice Oriented Technical Communication in Global Disaster Management. Under Initial Contract with Studies in Writing and Rhetoric Book Series.
This book demonstrates how local knowledge and transcultural practices of
recognizing, highlighting, and valuing marginalized perspectives during or after a crisis
creates an opportunity for tackling social injustices in post-disaster situations. With
grounded case studies of the 2015 Nepal Earthquake & 2017 Hurricane Maria in
Puerto Rico, this book showcases how locals in marginalized and colonized spaces
overcome disaster created complexities via coalitional and transnational engagements.
Ultimately, this project illustrates how technical communicators can perform
transdisciplinary research in disaster management to minimize the impacts of
catastrophic disasters affecting the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Peer Reviewed Publications
Risk, Crisis Communication, Science Communication
- Baniya, S. (2020). Managing Environmental Risks: Rhetorical Agency and Ecological Literacies of Women During the Nepal Earthquake. Enculturation (32) Special Issue: Rhetorics and Literacies of Climate Change. http://enculturation.net/managing_environmental
- Baniya, S., & Potts, L., (2020). Valuing Expertise During the Pandemic. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 35 (1), p 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1177/1050651920958503
- Baniya, S., (2021). The Implication of Transnational Activism and Disaster Response for Global Social Justice. Spark: A 4C4Equality Journal. URL: https://tinyurl.com/87rwnecw
- Baniya, S., & Chen, C. (2021). Experiencing a Global Pandemic: The Power of Public Storytelling as Counternarrative in Crisis Communication. Technical Communications. Special Issue of Technical Communication on The Work of Storytelling in Technical Communication, 68 (4), pp. 74-87.
- Baniya, S. (Jan 2022) Transnational Assemblages in Disaster Response: Networked Communities, Technologies, and Knowledge Making During Global Disasters. Technical Communications Quarterly. Accepted.
- Baniya, S., (May 2022) How Can Technical Communicators Help in Disaster Response. Technical Communications. Accepted
- Baniya, S., & Potts, L.,Recognizing the Immaterial Labor for Social Justice: The Experts’ Knowledge During the Pandemic. Special Issue on “Intercultural and Participatory Risk Communication about COVID-19: Using Immaterial Labor to Promote Social Justice in a Pandemic. Rhetoric, Professional Communication, and Globalization. Proposal Accepted.
- Baniya, S (2019). Comparative Study of Networked Communities, Crisis Communication, and Technology: Rhetoric of Disaster in Nepal Earthquake and Hurricane Maria. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference, Portland, OR Sigdoc 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3328020.3353913
- Baniya, S., The Rhetoric of Disaster in a Networked, Technological, Globalized World. Rhetoric Society Quarterly. In progress
- Baniya, S., Decolonizing Disaster Response: Puerto Ricans Response to Hurricane Maria. In Progress
Digital Rhetorics, Feminist Rhetorics & Activism, Non-Western, Rhetorical Theory & Communication
- Smith, A., Ranade, N., Baniya, S., Local users, global takeaways: Methodological considerations for audience advocacy in communication design research. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference 2021. Link
- Baniya, S., Hutchinson, L, Kumari, A, Larson, K, Lindgren, C. (2019). Representing Diversity in Digital Research: Digital Feminist Ethics and Resisting Dominant Normatives. Computers and Writing 2018 Conference Proceedings. URL: https://tinyurl.com/y27btt29
- Baniya, S. (2020). Rhetorical Comparison of Hindu God Krishna and Plato: An Exploration of Non-Western Hindu Rhetoric. In K. Lloyd. (Eds.), The Routledge Companion of Comparative and World Rhetorics, pp. 164-172. Routledge.
- Baniya, S., (Forthcoming) #RageAgainstRape: Nepali Women’s Assemblage and Networked Performances Against Rape. In Lisa Phillips, Sarah Warren-Riley, and Julie Bates (Eds. ), Grassroots Activisms: Public Rhetorics in Localized Contexts. Book Under Review
- Baniya, S. (2015). Performance of Rituals in Shaping Nepalese Woman’s Sexuality. Discourses on Folklore Kathmandu International Folklore Congress. Nepali Folklore Society. Nepal.
- Baniya, S. Rhetorical Agency of Women in Ancient Nepali Mythological Narrative: A Feminist Historiography of Svasthani Barta Katha. In progress.
Service Learning and Community Engagement
- Baniya, S., Brien, A., Call, K., Kumar, R., (2021) Covid, International Partnerships, and the Possibility of Equity: Enhancing Digital Literacy in Rural Nepal amid a Pandemic. Reflections.
- Baniya, S., Brien, A., Call, K., (2021) International Service Learning in Technical Communication during a Global Pandemic. Programmatic Perspective, 12 (2), 26-58.
- Baniya, S., Doan, S., Kumari, A., Johnson, G. P., & Schwarz, V. M. (2021). Coalitional literacies of digital safety and solidarity: A white paper on nextGEN international listserv. Computers and Composition, 62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compcom.2021.102681
- Baniya, S., Edwards, J, Sano-Franchini, J, & Walwema, J. (2022) Revisiting Service Learning in Technical and Professional Communication through Social Justice and Intercultural Frameworks: Findings from Survey Research. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication Fall 2022
- Baniya, S. (2023). Community Engagement. In J. Tham (Eds), Keywords in Design Thinking: A Primer For Makers, Designers, & Technical Communicators. Parlor Press.
- Baniya S., & Weech, S. (2019). Data and Experience Design: Negotiating Community-Oriented Digital Research with Service-Learning. Purdue Journal of Service-Learning and International Engagement, 6,11–16. https://doi.org/10.5703/1288284316979
- Kumari, A, Baniya, S., & Larson, K. (2020). The Necessity of Genre Disruption in Organizing an Advocacy Space for and by Graduate Students. Xchanges, 15 (1), 1-8.
- Baniya, S; Diab, K; Hendrickson, B; Grayson, M.L; Holly, H; Kumari, A; Larson, K; Messina, C.M; Paul, G; Ruiz, I. (2019) “Where we Are: Dialogue and Disciplinary Space.” Composition Studies, 47 (2): 203–210.
Interdisciplinary Research: Integrated First-Year Writing, Communication, And Engineering Experience
- Sherman, D., Mentzer, N., Baniya, S., Bartholomew, S., & Laux, D. (2021). Across the Disciplines: Our Gained Knowledge in Assessing a First-Year Integrated Experience. International Journal of Technology and Design Education. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10798-020-09650-6
- Parupudi, T., Sherman, D., Mentzer, N., Chesley, A., Baniya, S., & Laux, D. (2020) Oral Communication in an Integrated STEM and Humanities First-Year Experience. Journal of Technology Education, 32 (1), 50-64. https://doi.org/10.21061/jte.v32i1.a.4
- Bartholomew, S.R., Mentzer, N, Jones, M., Sherman, D., & Baniya, S., (2021) Learning by Evaluating (LbE) through Adaptive Comparative Judgment. International Journal of Technology and Design Education. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10798-020-09639-1
- Baniya, S., Chesley, A., Mentzer, N., Bartholomew, S., Moon, C., & Sherman, D. (2019). Using Adaptive Comparative Judgment in Writing Assessment: An Investigation of Reliability Among Interdisciplinary Evaluators. Journal of Technological Studies, 45 (2), 24-45.
- Baniya, S., Mentzer, N., Sherman, D., Laux, D., Farrington, S., Holtan, A., Eden, C., & Zhang, L. Creating Interdisciplinary Collaborative Teaching/learning Praxis with Design Thinking, Communication, and Composition. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference, Portland, OR. DOI: 10.1145/3328020.3353930
- Chesley, A., Parupudi, T., Baniya, S., Farrington, S., Holtan, A., Eden, C., Laux, D., & Mentzer, N. (2018) Interdisciplinary Pedagogy, Integrated Curriculum, and Professional Development. In ASEE IL/IN Regional Conference Proceedings. 10.5703/1288284316848
Publications and Conference Presentations by Graduate and Undergraduate Mentees
Graduate Student Publications & Presentation from Rhetoric(s) in Global Society Course at Virginia Tech
- Ganguly, P., (2021). Tweeting Reproductive Justice (RJ) Advocacy through #AbortionMeraHaq. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference 2021
- Shafer, S., (2021). Substance Abuse: Avenues for Identity Articulation, Coalition Building, and Support During COVID-19. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference 2021
- Ganguly, P. (2021). #AbortionMeraHaq: When Transcultural Community Writers Mediate Reproductive Injustice Digitally through Coalitional Action. Presentation at Coalition of Community Writing Conference 2021
Undergraduate Journal Publications at Virginia Tech and Purdue University & Beyond
- Call, Kylie. (2021). The Importance of Needs Assessments in Global Technical Communication. Instructional Design & Learning Special Interest Group, Society of Technical Communication. (Winner of competition) Link: https://tinyurl.com/4rjyd34h
- Call, Kylie. (2021). Strategies for International Communication Design. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference 2021.
- Bach, S. Our house is on fire”: Three Rhetorical Findings from Youth Climate Activists, an Emerging Discourse Community. Young Scholars in Writing. Forthcoming
- Chaube, P. (2020). Importance and Challenges of International Service-learning. Purdue Journal of Service-Learning and International Engagement., 7, (1), 19-27. DOI: 10.5703/1288284317230
- Auckley D., & Harber, J. (2019). Caregiver Companion: A Service-Learning Initiative in Tippecanoe County. Purdue Journal of Service-Learning and International Engagement, 6, (1), 4–10. https://doi.org/10.5703/1288284316978
- Yee, M., (2019). From Mugshots to Masterpieces: Identities Revealed Through Immigration Portraits of the Chinese Exclusion Era. Young Scholars in Writing, 17, 127-136.
- Baniya, S., Brien, A., Call, K., Kumar, R., (2021) Serving Internationally: Enhancing Digital Literacy in Rural Nepal amid a Pandemic. Reflections. Accepted
- Baniya, S., Brien, A., Call, K., Rethinking Service Learning in Technical Communication via Global Engagement in the Post-Pandemic Context. Programmatic Perspective 2021 Special Issue, Administering TPC Programs in Times of Crisis. November, 2021
Undergraduate Conference Presentations at Virginia Tech and Purdue University
- Call, K., (2021). Strategies for International Communication Design. Undergraduate Poster Competition. SIGDOC Conference
- Doyle, A., (2021). Content and Rhetorical Analysis of News and Twitter: Crisis Response to the Beirut Explosion. CCCCs Undergraduate Research Poster Competition.
- Baniya, S., Kumar, R., Call, K & Brien, A. (2021). Empowering Rural Nepali Community via Digital Literacy: Rethinking Access and Social Justice in the Pandemic. Coalition of Community Writing Conference. (Presenting together with me and community partner)
- Baniya, S., Auckely, D., Harber, J., (March 2019). Engaging with Community via Digital Communication Practices: A Reflection on Service-Learning Oriented Business Writing Class. Engagement Summit 2019, Lafayette, IN.
|Audio/ Podcast: |
Baniya, S. (2019). Sue Wells Interview in Eric Detweiler’s RSA Oral History Initiative, Retrieved from http://rheteric.org/oralhistory/items/show/19
Baniya, S. (2019). Roundtable on Inaugural RSA Institute in Eric Detweiler’s RSA Oral History Initiative, Retrieved from http://rheteric.org/oralhistory/items/show/9 Baniya, S. (2017).
Reminiscing 20 years of #FemRhet with Dr. Jennifer Bay,” in CWSHRC blogpost for Feminisms and Rhetorics Conference 2017, Dayton, OH. https://tinyurl.com/yxjqzg24
Baniya, S & Chapman, R. FemRhet2017 Recap Day One. Retrieved from: https://tinyurl.com/y3gnb9e9
Baniya, S. (2016). Enhancing construction skills to help Nepali earthquake victims build back better. Retrieved From https://tinyurl.com/yxvnhbu5 (400,000 hits record on the European Union website and 26.000 likes EU Facebook)
|Pictorial Book: o Baniya, S. (2016). Nepal Earthquake Recovery Project: Pictorial Book [PDF}. Retrieved From https://tinyurl.com/y2au4xta|
|Documentary:o Baniya, S. (2016). Nepal: Building Back Better. Retrieved From https://tinyurl.com/y392tohy |
Baniya, S. (2016). Nepal: One year of Bringing Relief. Retrieved From https://tinyurl.com/y3xg2z4a
Baniya, S. (2015). Changing Self-Changing Community. Retrieved From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wMymoSrUYY