Since August 2017, I have been working as a Research Assistant for “Polytechnic Integrated Freshman Year Research” implemented by Purdue’s Polytechnic Institute. This empirical research integrates three courses English, Communication, and Design thinking for all incoming Freshmen of the Polytechnic Institute. This research aims at finding out how the intersections of humanities and technology during the freshmen year will help students develop better rhetorical understanding of the real world like the corporate world, social world, political world. The multi-disciplinary aspect of the research interested me and thus investing time on this project has helped me develop and grow as a researcher. Having worked for nearly two years now, we have few joint publications and some publications are under review with Dr. Nathan Mentzer, Dr. Amelia Chelsey other colleagues. This research experience has made me learn and explore innovative ways of forging a diverse partnership via writing and research with a multidisciplinary team. With this research, I have been trained as an empirical research methods as well as administrative and logistics work behind implementing integrated programs by bringing together three different departments. I believe this unique experience integrated research will help me during the job market time.
- Baniya, S., Chesley, A., Mentzer, N., Bartholomew, S., Moon, C., & Sherman, D. (2019). Using Adaptive Comparative Judgment in Writing Assessment: An Investigation of Reliability Among Interdisciplinary Evaluators. Journal of Technological Studies. Forthcoming
- Sherman, D., Mentzer, N., Baniya, S., & Laux, D. (2019) Adapting Rhetorical Knowledge: Our Challenge in Assessing a First-Year Integrated Experience. Writing Across Curriculum Journal. Under Review
- Parupudi, T., Sherman, D., Mentzer, N., Chesley, A., Baniya, S., & Laux, D. (2019) Oral Communication in an Integrated STEM and Humanities First-Year Experience. Journal of Technology Education. Under Review
- Baniya, S., Mentzer, N., Sherman, D., & Laux, D. Creating Interdisciplinary Collaborative Teaching/learning Praxis with Design Thinking, Communication, and Composition. In proceedings of SIGDOC Conference, Portland, OR.
- Chesley, A., Parupudi, T., Baniya, S., Farrington, S., Holtan, A., Eden, C., Laux, D., & Mentzer, N. (2018) Interdisciplinary Pedagogy, Integrated Curriculum, and Professional Development. ASEE IL/IN Regional Conference Proceedings. 10.5703/1288284316848